Sunday, January 22, 2012

Body Language



BODY LANGUAGE

Sometimes the way we talk gives expression to emotional conflicts.

Language may substitute physical pain for emotional. Sometimes it’s too upsetting to recognize that you’re hurting emotionally, so those feelings are converted into physical sensations. 

For example:
"In my last binge, I ate so much that my stomach hurt."

“I haven’t eaten all day, but I kind of like that pain.”

"Just thinking about dating gives me a headache."

"My heart is beating so fast. I wish I could calm down."

Food cravings can also reflect an unmet need. If you are unsatisfied in your life, and crave the “sweetness” of connection, comfort, or satisfaction, you may talk about it in terms of food, rather than emotional needs.

“I’m in the mood for ice cream.”

“I can’t get enough candy.”

Being physically empty may be a way of denying needs.

“I like purging. I like the feeling of being empty.”

“I like being really hungry. It feels clean.”

It's important to translate your “body language” into emotional needs, wants or conflicts.

What emotional pain are you in right now? What, or who, is hurting your feelings?

What, or who, is making you ache with sadness, anger, fear, or anxiety.

What does it mean to be empty? Clean? What needs and wants are you turning away from? Do emotions register as dirty or messy?

What kind of sweetness do you need in your life?

By identifying the pain, aches, anxieties and other conflicts, and then working through allowing yourself to process and "feel" those emotions, you may not to, or from, food to express your inner world. 

Verbal language, as opposed to body language, is the key that unlocks the door to freedom from disordered eating.


Comments and questions are welcome.  Please share on Facebook and/or Twitter so more people can benefit from the information on this blog.

"Like" me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter


Legal Disclaimer:  The content on this site is for educational and informational purposes only.  It is not intended as psychotherapy or as a substitute for psychotherapy advice, diagnosis or treatment.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

I feel a bit overwhelmed by this post. I think it's because it is tapping into areas of my sub-conscious I have not yet gone. It's going to take me some time to really let this sink in.

Julie U.S. Writer said...

I know what you mean. The only thing I know right now is I eat when I'm anxious or lonely. I also eat when I feel betrayed.

Brad said...

I sometimes eat out of fear of feeling hungry and starving like I did when we were kids and didn't have much food. Also, I always believed what is said about physical symptoms-a transference of some kind of emotion that goes un-dealt with.